Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Using what I have...

Have you ever been given, or "left" with an item that you just can't figure out how it can ever work in your own household. While you are worrying about that you are also stressing yourself out because no matter what, you cannot get rid of this useless thing. Maybe it is the wrong color, wrong style, or just plain ugly. Well this is what happened to me. When my grandmother passed away I felt the need to take her chair. It was the chair that she had always sat in. She always said it was the most comfortable and I felt that if I could keep it then I would keep a little piece of her with me. I know, I'm being all sentimental, but it is true. So, here I am with this comfortable, ugly green swivel chair. It doesn't exactly fit with any of my decor and if I leave it with my boys it will be destroyed within a year and I just can't let that happen. So, I get to thinking. I can buy a slip cover to put over the chair since I don't have the money or the know how to re-cover the chair myself. The problem is this, I don't have the money for a slip cover right now. What to do, what to do. Then as I sit there pondering my choices I think about all the spare linens that I have in a closet. Surely there but be something there of interest. Upon rummaging through the closet I find a cream colored dust ruffle, a white blanket and some of my old teddy beards. I begin by putting the white blanket over the chair to hide the green color. I concentrate on the front and sides as no one should be able to see the back. I then put the dust ruffle over the blanket and begin to smooth and tuck the material around the chair. I did have to pull two of the sides to the back and I tied them in a knot to keep them in place. After adding a pillow and the teddy bears I think I have a fairly shabby shic start to a chair. It's all about using what I have within my home to make an older piece of furniture fit my transitional style.

0 comments:

 
Bama Girl's Ramblings. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino